Monday, June 23, 2008

Shirley you'd like some nectarines?

While in Grass Valley this weekend Brian and I went to the local farmers market with his father. I knew that I wanted to buy some fresh fruit, and we were knocked out by the flavor of the nectarines that were being sold. I bought a bunch. I also got some summer squash, a favorite of mine, some naan, and a teensy ceramic pot.

When we arrived back home, I was struck by a moment of genius. A crisp! I love to make things, especially when they are simple. This turned out so well. It's one of those things that will showcase summer fruit to perfection, and make you look like a genius, but doesn't require any special talent. You can even bring the ingredients along with you to someones home, and assemble them quick as a flash after dinner. The dry ingredients will all fit in a ziploc sandwich bag.


Nectarine Crisp

3lbs nectarines, sliced (enough to generously fill the bottom of a 8 x 8 x 2 pan)

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup oats

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup butter, softened

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

3/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Cream or ice cream, for serving a la mode.

1. Preheat your oven to 375˙. Butter bottom and sides of baking dish. Wash and slice the nectarines. Place in dish.

2. In a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients (except cream/ice cream) until well mixed, then sprinkle topping over the nectarines until they are evenly covered.

3. Bake 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream/ ice cream topping.

This recipe can be used for any number of fruits: apples, peaches, apricots, cherries…



This, below, was one of my favorites on Sesame when I was small.

"The Geefle and The Gonk"

3 comments:

karey m. said...

wait. was that last line "no. let's call it shirley?"

or was it sharing?

i like shirley better. i don't remember this!

Megan said...

It was Shirley. Unless I'm crazy.

simply seleta said...

I REMEMBER THAT AS A CHILD!!! Just shared it with my 4 little ones here. Thank you for bringing back such a happy memory from 30 years ago. *big smile*