Thursday, March 13, 2008

Quelle heure

My brother introduced me to De La Soul. He had their first tape, in all of its day-glo glory laying around in his little room. He listened to it, and then I was all OVER it, because it was great then, just as it is now. I remember my brother commenting on the skit where the people are speaking in French. He told me that the conversation was about asking the time. It felt more like it was some sort of enlightenment though, my older brother cluing me in on the finer points language, I felt like I was learning something tres sophistique. Whenever that skit pops up on my iPod, I think of him.


I think I may have inherited the tape, and I'm sure I wore it out. I've bought every one of their albums since. My brother's taste runs more to things like the Boards of Canada now, but I'm all over the place.

This is one of my favorite De La songs of all time, it never fails to perk me up, and therefore, is the inspiration for my blog title. it is from their second album, De La Soul Is Dead and features Q-Tip and Vinia Mojica on vocals.

No comments: